Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

Pat Haden: My Rookie Season With the Los Angeles Ram
By Pat Haden with Robert Blair Kaiser
Amazon link
Morrow, 1977
ISBN 10: 0688032249
ISBN 13: 978-0688032241
Hardcover (223 pages)

Description: Hadenís memoir of his rookie year with the Los Angeles Rams in 1976 offers a close look at a perennial power during the 1970ís that always fell short of the championship. He captures the teamís psyche and offers some insight of the Ramsí issues at quarterback.

Player of the Year: Roman Gabrielís Football Journal
By Roman Gabriel and Bob Oates
Amazon link
World Publishing, 1970

Description: Just as Jerry Kramerís Green Bay Packer journal, Instant Replay, coincided with his key block of Jethro Pugh in the Ice Bowl, Gabrielís journal covers his MVP season with the Rams in 1969. It similarly covers the psyche of the Rams and George Allenís coaching over the period covering Goerge Allenís firing and rehiring in December 1968 through the Ramsí playoff run in 1969.

#2 james

james

Veteran

• PFRA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Music(Iron Maiden & Heavy Metal), NY Giants, Otto Graham, Leo Nomellini, AAFC, Pro Football 1920's-1970's, collecting football cards, collecting and reading football books.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Are there any books out there about the Rams from the late 1940's-1950's? Also on the Rams in the 1970's?

Thanks,
James

Edited by james, 12 April 2012 - 12:32 PM.

Axes Grind and Maces Clash!

#3 SixtiesFan

SixtiesFan

Starter

• Forum Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Are there any books out there about the Rams from the late 1940's-1950's? Also on the Rams in the 1970's?

Thanks,
James

There is a book on the Los Angeles Rams from the "Great Teams' Great Years" series. Steve Bisheff was the writer for this book, published in 1973. It is one of the better ones from this series. I still have it.

A Deacon Jones biography came out several years ago.

Jack Youngblood put out an autobiography titled "Blood," in 1988. It is one of the more revealing books of its type. Youngblood has another book, "Because it was Sunday," which came out last fall, which I haven't seen. These two and Pat Haden's book are about all there is on the 1970's Rams.

#4 Gabe

Gabe

Starter

• Forum Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

There is a book on the Los Angeles Rams from the "Great Teams' Great Years" series. Steve Bisheff was the writer for this book, published in 1973. It is one of the better ones from this series. I still have it.

A Deacon Jones biography came out several years ago.

Jack Youngblood put out an autobiography titled "Blood," in 1988. It is one of the more revealing books of its type. Youngblood has another book, "Because it was Sunday," which came out last fall, which I haven't seen. These two and Pat Haden's book are about all there is on the 1970's Rams.

There are also autobiographies by Chuck Knox and John Williams.

#5 SixtiesFan

SixtiesFan

Starter

• Forum Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

There are also autobiographies by Chuck Knox and John Williams.

I've seen the Chuck Knox autobiography but thought the part about the 70's Rams left something to be desired. Can you tell us about the John Williams book?

#6 james

james

Veteran

• PFRA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Music(Iron Maiden & Heavy Metal), NY Giants, Otto Graham, Leo Nomellini, AAFC, Pro Football 1920's-1970's, collecting football cards, collecting and reading football books.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Is the Great Teams, Great Years series any good? How about the Deacon Jones biography? I will look for the Jack Youngblood autobiography. I'm guessing there isn't anything on the Rams teams of the late 1940's, early 1950's?

#7 SixtiesFan

SixtiesFan

Starter

• Forum Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Is the Great Teams, Great Years series any good? How about the Deacon Jones biography? I will look for the Jack Youngblood autobiography. I'm guessing there isn't anything on the Rams teams of the late 1940's, early 1950's?

The Great Teams, Great Years series is excellent for someone interested in a team's history. The entry on the Rams has interviews with Tom Fears, Elroy Hirsch, Don Paul, Hampton Pool, Bob Waterfield, and Paul Younger.

"Headslap," the 1998 Deacon Jones bio, is rather long but fans of Deacon would want it.

The aforementioned Great Teams, Great Years on the Rams has quite a lot on the late 40's and 1950's.

#8 james

james

Veteran

• PFRA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

The Great Teams, Great Years series is excellent for someone interested in a team's history. The entry on the Rams has interviews with Tom Fears, Elroy Hirsch, Don Paul, Hampton Pool, Bob Waterfield, and Paul Younger.

"Headslap," the 1998 Deacon Jones bio, is rather long but fans of Deacon would want it.

The aforementioned Great Teams, Great Years on the Rams has quite a lot on the late 40's and 1950's.

SixtiesFan, you made my day. That Great Teams, Great Years book on the Rams sounds incredible. Is that book hard to find? The people interviewed would make it a joy to read.

#9 SixtiesFan

SixtiesFan

Starter

• Forum Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

SixtiesFan, you made my day. That Great Teams, Great Years book on the Rams sounds incredible. Is that book hard to find? The people interviewed would make it a joy to read.

Google "Amazon, Steve Bisheff, Los Angeles Rams." It should pop right up. You can get if from Amazon for a reasonable price. Over $50 for a new copy. Around $25 for collectible, and less for used. I just checked.

#10 james

james

Veteran

• PFRA Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

Google "Amazon, Steve Bisheff, Los Angeles Rams." It should pop right up. You can get if from Amazon for a reasonable price. Over $50 for a new copy. Around $25 for collectible, and less for used. I just checked.

Dude, thanks so much. I'm going to check it out now...

#11 fgoodwin

fgoodwin

Veteran

• Forum Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys, NFL, Texas Longhorns, football history, other leagues (AAFC, AFL, WFL, USFL), football collectibles, football books

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

Dude, thanks so much. I'm going to check it out now...

Amazon is a great resource but I always go to used.addall.com when looking for OOP books. Addall lists a nearfine (NF) copy of the book for $1 although the description mentions a binding glitch.
--
Dallas Cowboy Books Blog
http://www.facebook....CowboyBooksBlog